Monday, May 19, 2008

An ode to Switchfoot

Favorite band? Kids in college 'clued in' to the music scene greet newbies with this question to determine if they are worthy of inclusion in their club.

Though I've preferred, not having favorites, (wonder if you can start a sentence with 'though'), Switchfoot, comes closer than any I've ever had. If memory serves, the first song I heard was 'Meant to live', which I think, was also when they met with large-scale success. I listened to the entire album soon - 'The beautiful letdown' and the songs were anything but.


I liked the refreshing, clean sound and Jonathan Foreman's raspy, throaty vocals. Amazing, I thought. I found the lyrics to be reflective, deep, yet simple. And when he crooned,

"Maybe redemption has stories to tell,
Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell.
Where can you run to escape from yourself?
Where you gonna go?
Salvation is here.."

I knew I'd say 'Switchfoot', if someone ever asked.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm really glad u wrote this... i'm just as glad to have read it...u helped me find Switchfoot!!! and they very well might be my favorite band too...i'm in love with the songs i've heard so far my favorites being 24 and The shadow proves the sunshine.
Also a big fan of ur blogs btw...did notice u haven't written in a while...i pray u find the inspiration to keep writing and inspiring ppl like me.. here's hoping to read more from u.Soon.Tk care now, Godbless.