Monday, February 15, 2016

This is Home

You were to be my home, the one I was waiting for
When I was tempted to wander, and sorely embittered,
You were the faint strains of a surging melody;
the tranquil waves of a rising sea
I carried the weight of my expectations until I found you;
but as I waited, I prepared, to also be right for you

My words were few, but you understood
Being knit by a common thread, we saw a common truth
Every untold story was waiting to be told to you
Every battle wound was waiting to be revealed to you

When the fire raged, stoked by the winds of conflict, fuelled by the intruder,
You cut through the haze, and ever rose to my defence
When my doubts abounded, amid the clamor of unresolved questions;
Until clarity dawned, you were my honest answer
Until healing appeared, you were my soothing mender
Because when the sun went down, you didn’t let go.
Sleepless and red-eyed, we stumbled into a new day, but you never did let go.

When time and distance clambered to take their toll,
I rested knowing that you’d never let my heart burn;
Never let my core unfold.


I did not get what I wished for, but was granted even the unstated desires of my heart
For I would choose happiness and accolade over the bitter-sweet sting of sanctification,
That my good Father knew from the start.
And I begin to grasp the love of the God of Jacob, marveling,
When you, my beloved, rejoice over me with singing!

Your love is patient and kind;
Displayed through sacrifice; and a girding of your mind.
You swept the chambers of your heart cleaner
So I could walk in barefoot and trusting
You ploughed in fertile, watered ground, ridding it bare of secrets and stories
So I could find my rest in you, my safe haven in tumult and frothing
You held my interests above yours, empathetic, walking in my shoes.
When you did not understand, you tried harder still, and with all your might,
Long after, when I won’t remember what was said, I’ll never forget, oh, just how you tried.

My solid rock, you never tired of loving.
All this while, I thought I would make you whole,
But as your love compels, moves and covers me,
And in a way that only you can,
I’m more whole than I was ever before, my bridegroom, my man. 


No comments: